Friday, March 25, 2011

Gardening: Day 1

I spent the morning out in the front gardens whipping 2 of them back into shape.  The house has a pretty sizeable piece of property and the flower gardens are suffering from about 3 years of neglect.  Yeah I know it's not exciting to read about but there is a sense of accomplishment when you take a garden that's nothing but weeds and spends hours of time hoeing it out, leveling the soil and then laying down mulch.  The particular gardens I worked on today are on either side of the driveway.  I know my dad and step-mom put the gardens in years ago because they have no sprinklers in them so they're not original to the house.  The unfortunate thing is both gardens only have a couple palms growing in them right now until I can afford some plants.  At least it's not a weed garden anymore.

About the sprinkler/irrigation system... Yeah it's almost totally screwed.  Although some of the heads have been replaced over the years, 3 years of disuse took it's toll on the remaining heads to the point that most are leaking too badly to be used.  Add that to the fact that the soil has built up over the years so the heads are now 2 inches below the soil surface instead of being 2 inches above.  It's going to take me around $200 for sure and maybe 2 days of work to replace the heads and get it working again.  Not to mention also having to do a slight redesign while I am at it.  I'll be adding a few sprayer heads to cover the front gardens along with reinventing a zone in the backyard that is currently a mix of shrub sprayers and rotary sprayers which is a no-no.  You can't mix the 2 types of heads because both have differing watering  (precipitation rates).  I've got my work cut out for me and it'll all have to wait until after Alaska.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a Do Follow Blog, so please no spam comments. Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...