Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Searching For Perfection

1922 Perfection Stove Co.

I know I haven't written for a long time but springtime work around the home can be rather demanding.  I've literally spent many a day outside re mulching the flower beds, cutting through a forest of weeds and repairing the fence and gate as well as replanting plants in the gardens, and installing some commercial playground equipment for the local park.  I also finally received my orders for Alaska and I'm being dispatched on May 24th so I feel the crunch to get things done around the house before I leave and dad will be dealing with things on his own. 

I have been looking for ways to stretch the budget lately, namely making things at home rather than buying them.  So far I've been baking bread every couple of days and the other day I put up a batch of homemade laundry detergent.  Dad and I have also been talking about what we want to do with the house now that my step-mom is moving out.  After I get back from Alaska we will be getting rid of a lot of unused furniture and rearranging things inside the house.  The biggest change will be in the garage where we have a wonderful workbench... if we could get to it.  I plan to clean it out totally and turn it into a workplace / Summer Kitchen. 

Which brings us to our picture of the day today.  I have been collecting these old ads for the last few weeks and I will be posting them with my  articles.  Some are just of interesting stuff and some have amazing ad artwork in them but they are all a reminder of a time gone by when food was healthy and products were American made.  This ad is from 1922 for Perfection Stove Co.  I have been chasing down owning one of these stoves for years and it is the stove I have in mind for my garage summer kitchen.  These stoves were first marketed in the early 1900's as Summer stoves in Southern homes in the US.  All cooking in the late 1800's into the 1920's was with Coal and Wood stoves which put out an incredible amount of heat into the home, not a plus when the temperature was 90 degrees. 

Perfection Stoves ran off of a gravity feed kerosene system and were highly efficient stoves able to burn 12 hours on 1 gallon of Kerosene (3.8L).  The use of a flame spreader ensured a hot blue flame akin to a gas stove.  Perfection sold millions of these stoves over the years, mostly to people who lived in areas where natural gas was unavailable.  They are still being made today by the Amish but carry a hefty $800 price tag.  Using one of these stoves may or may not save money over an electric stove but it would come in handy during canning time in the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a Do Follow Blog, so please no spam comments. Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...