Wednesday, January 18, 2012

One Step At A Time

For all those who follow my blog, you know that I just arrived here in the states 2 months ago. I received my Permanent Resident Card (GC)  3 weeks after arriving over here and after that we decided to apply for my Social Security Number.  After just 4 days I received my SSN card in the mail.  I was so excited when I received it because it means I can finally start applying for a job, and here in the USA you can't apply for a job unless you have a SSN and of course a Green Card.  I started applying online, at first I was so excited because a couple of the places I had applied to called me back for an interview.  The first interview was okay but I didn't hear anything from them so I was thinking they hired someone else. The next was so far away from where we live, about 22 miles, so I chose not to go to the interview.  I did not lose hope, at this moment I'm still trying to apply online.

My only complaint about finding a job here in the US is its hard, especially  if you are a new immigrant, because they require job references, which I don't have because all my friends are and references are in the Philippines. Also, it is harder for me because I do not currently have a driver's license. I think its very important that you know how to drive and of course its also hard when you don't have a car of your own, because unlike in the Philippines, where I came from, you can't commute, there is no jeepney, just bus service which is horrible here in Jacksonville thanks to JTA.  I just want something to do while waiting for May to arrive because (God willing) I'm going to work with my husband in Alaska. Unfortunately there's still a long way to go and I don't want to just stay in the house and do nothing for four months.

So I did some research and discovered that the library near our house is offering a free ESL (English as a Second Language) class. I was very happy that the class is free, except for the gas to drive back and forth hahaha.  The class itself is 2 times a week and lasts until May. Barbara, the teacher, called earlier, she wants to see me and administer an oral test so that she will know what level of my English that needs improvement.  I'm so happy and excited because finally I get a chance to meet new friends. I was thinking I will just do one step at a time and who knows I can get a job soon... XOXO


3 comments:

  1. Good luck in your job hunt. It's not always easy here to find a job. The best thing to do is to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ratty! I know its very hard especially for a New Immigrant like me, but I'm still lucky because there still job waiting for me in Alaska soon and I'm very thankful for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodluck in your job hunting gurl,and congrats for your job soon in Alaska?What job you will have in alaska?

    ReplyDelete

This is a Do Follow Blog, so please no spam comments. Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...