Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My First Job In America

I have to study this one :)
 Yesterday I received a call from one of the companies that I applied to for a job.  Finally I'm so happy to say that I Got A Job!  I was very thankful to God for another blessing that He has given me.  I really thought that my first job over here is going to be working in Alaska.  For those of you who don't follow my blog yet,  I mentioned in my other post that a job is waiting for me in Alaska because my husband is working there every summer.  It is very hard to find a job here in the US especially with the economy right now and the inflation rate so high, there is  a lot of people who wants a job but there's not a lot of job in the market.  So I'm very thankful I'm one of those who got lucky to have a job right now.   As for a new immigrant like me I'm proud that I got a job even though its just a Sales Associate in one of the Convenience Store here.  I really need the experience and the reference and of course the money, it is important that you have a reference here in the US because they don't honor all your reference from your home country.  Your work history in your home country is not easily verifiable here in the USA also, so its like starting from scratch. 

If everything falls into place, I have plans to continue my studies.  First I have to go to school for my GED or General Education Development.  Wikipedia defines the GED as:

General Educational Development (or GED) tests are a group of five subject tests which, when passed, certify that the taker has American or Canadian high school-level academic skills. The GED is also referred to as a General Education Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma or Graduate Equivalency Degree. 1

Hopefully I can pass it, though my husband said is all about American history and Math.  I know math and me doesn't go along pretty well lol, but I will try my best.  Because I think  my diploma may or may not be accepted over here due to the fact its from a foreign country, unless you come from Canada  then you are exempted.  That is the plan for now, its all in God's hands, and it depends if I don't get pregnant yet of course my family is my first priority.

I'm going to start training tomorrow, and I can't believe the training over here is with pay, wow in the Philippines its not like that!  Its really amazing, I'm thinking if I get my first salary I will really frame the money as a remembrance of my first job and salary here in the USA.  If my training goes well and I learn quickly my manager says I'm going to start work right away.  I need to become familiar with American money first because the majority of the work I'm doing is cashiering, though I had an experience of handling the cash register before I'm still nervous because I'm still learning the difference between a dime, quarter, nickel, and penny..  My husband says there's nothing to be nervous about I will get used to it in time.  A piece of advice to all new immigrants like me who have a hard time finding a job;  Don't get discouraged, review your resume, dress appropriately in your interview, and apply to as many jobs as you can.  Don't stop believing in yourself, don't lose hope as for me I think I applied to all the jobs I see posted online, and I got interviewed 4 times before I got this job right now.  And of course its also good to pray for God's guidance.  I would like to thank my father in law for all his advices and help, to my husband who is always so patient with me and loves me unconditionally, thank you mahal for being my driver♥.  To my mum though she is so far away from me I can still feel her love and prayers for me I love you mama♥ and To our Lord God Almighty for all the blessings and guidance thank You, To God Be The Glory.


Sources:
1) General Education Development - Wikipedia


6 comments:

  1. Great blog post! I'm so glad you found a job and feel so blessed to be working in the USA. :) You'll get used to our currency in no time. With all my years at retail stores, I have worked with many immigrants who have been on and off the registers and if they can get used to the US currency, so can you!! I would just keep reviewing coins with Alex. That'll definitely help you. Or even buy play money at Walmart or Target and pretend that Alex is buying items from you so that you can learn which coins to give back to him, the customer. I did this with my students in a foreign country and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry! Great idea about buying play money so that I can practice with it. I just got home from training and wow what an experience for me, the training is just online and there's a lot learn my gosh, I hope I can make it lol.

      Delete
    2. No problem! That is the teacher in me. :-) You'll make it!!!!!

      Delete
  2. That also brings back memories of when I used to live in the Caribbean. The currency is totally different and I had to get used to all the coins. When I first moved down there, I had the cashiers help me with the coins. Plus the exchange rate is different, so I always had to convert Caribbean money to USA money in my head to see whether I was getting good prices for items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow nice blog. keep posting. i love the way you compose your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first US job, sis! So happy for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

This is a Do Follow Blog, so please no spam comments. Thanks!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...